Thursday, March 20, 2008

Washington Update

Well I tried to write an entry everyday but I could hardly stand upright last night and went to bed instead. So here is a two day recap. Yesterday was one for the record books in my life. It started well before the sun came up. We hoped on a bus and headed out to Mount Vernon to see the home of our nation's first president, George Washington. Very impressive. The home had examples of the some of the oldest faux finishes I have ever seen. After that we were stuck on bus for a while because it would not start. No problem bus driver Willy to the rescue! Then we drove through Alexandria and took in the sights. My favorite was an old row home from the 1800's called the Spite House. It is still lived in today and is a total 150 Sq Ft of two story living space. From there back to DC. We milled around Union station a bit tried to get in the national archives but gave up due to rain.
Mt. Vernon
I went out alone and armed with cameras later to catch some demonstrations. They were happening all day all through out the city due to the 5 year anniversary of the war in Iraq. I caught the end of one in Mcpherson Square and ran to catch the Metro to get to the Captiol Building. I just made it. People were gathered and ready to march up the hill. It was a silent procession, people were wearing black and had the names of soldiers hanging around there necks. They marched up the hill and stopped in the middle of an intersection. I believe 52 people were arrested yesterday during the demonstrations.
Anti War Protests
Today we started bright and early again. We waited in line at the National Archives to be one of the first ones inside. I stood in front of our founding documents this morning. Very surreal and amazing. From there took in the National Gallery of Art's Sculpture Garden and got to get close to another Oldenburg! Then we headed to the Capitol Club. Little did I know that it was the National Republican Club. (A little side note here. I have been traveling with my mother and my sister whom are both republicans. I am of the other persuasion.) They thought it was hilarious that I needed to go inside the club. We sat in the entry to the private club and waited for Henry Bonilla. He personally took us on a private tour of the capitol building. I could go on and on about this but instead will give the short short version. The buildings interior is unlike anything I have ever seen in this country. I stood on both the House and Senate floor. Sat at Mrs. Clinton's desk in the chamber and saw the remaining bullet hole from the shooting in the 50's. I have a better understanding of our law making process. I think I will remain an artist. Haha...
Henry Bonilla, My Mom and Me

No comments: