Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Washington Day Three

Well we hit the ground walking this morning. There were many amazing things seen. I finally sat on a couple set of steps I have always wondered about. As I sat on the steps to the Lincoln Memorial I looked out to the Washington Monument. I have seen this same view in still pictures and on the big screen a ton of times. The scale of the grounds could never have been understood until I sat on the steps myself. Then there was the Vietnam Memorial designed by Maya Lin when she was still a student at Yale. Watching people take rubbings off the wall of there love ones names. Absolutely speechless. We went out to Arlington National Cementery today as well. I never knew that before the land was a cementery it was a plantation that was once home to Robert E. Lee, once he left to join the south in the Civil War he never came back again. Crazy. I saw the seas of headstones, and the resting places for President JFK and Jackie, President Taft, Thurgood Marshall and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. All in all the history keeps flowing into my head and we have been going to bed early with tired feet and minds. Tomorrow we are off to the home of George Washington. I am also going to try and capture some of the protests that are going on in Washington right now. To anyone who has not made the journey out to DC, I highly recommend it. It has made me geared up to be democratic!
Abe Lincoln sits 19' Tall

No comments: