Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Reality Check Part Two...


Well I almost forgot to finish the second half of this blog entry due to the ever changing absent minded busy. So where was I, ah yes in line awaiting the review from the few under the tent, that at this point was so very far away from where I was standing. We all began chatting and seeing where everyone was from and this is when I noticed the woman wearing the yellow shirt standing two people in front of me. Her shirt had "Texas" across it and I had to ask. "Are you from Texas,and if so where do you live?" She said yes Dallas and I laughed at the small nature of the world we all whirl around in. Not only was Tamara White from Dallas but we happen to live in the small little side of town known as Oak Cliff. It is moments like that that make me smile! We had all become acquainted with each other as we slowly did our hopeful trudging to the front of the line. Let me tell you if you have to spend an entire day wrapping around a city block, Do it in Manhattan! There was always something to look at and hear as the residents of the West Village milled about there day. We heard a cyclist yell at a cabbie, a cabbie honk at a driver and the line of us cheered on like spectators to a new sport. There was some press out there and several people with video and still cameras documenting the impromptu street side art fair. I had the pleasure to have a small chat with the folks from Art Forum thanks to Tamara's yellow shirt of Texas. She pointed out we were both from the Lone Star State. They moved through the line asking questions about the whole experience and why we were there. After hours and hours of eating while standing for some, running down the street to a cafe for quick breaks and stretching the waiting was coming to an end for my small section of the line. I, of course was too afraid something would happen if I stepped out of line so no liquid, food, or breaks for me. I have no idea why this seemed like a good idea since the line moved slower than any turtle I have ever seen. But alas we arrived at the tent and the anticipation was building. Off my group went one at a time to sit in front of a stranger under tents on the sidewalk. I was called over took a deep breath said hello and handed the man my portfolio. He said very little and flipped through the shiny pages. From this point I shall tell all it was an experience I was very proud to have been a part of.... but the blog ends here. I did very well the rest of the day but I will be sticking to actual reality for the time being. I truly love being a part of a community that is everywhere. Many thanks to the Artists I had the pleasure to spend a day on a street corner with. I posted a few pictures from the day on my flickr.

No comments: