Sunday, August 24, 2008

Texas Adventures!

I have been one busy gal the last couple of weekends. I have celebrated birthday with two of my best pals, sans the cake. It seems that the older we get the more daring the adventures are becoming. The weekend of August 16th, I headed out east to New York, Texas for Frankie's birthday. The adventure was ziplining and this is some serious fun! I am hoping to go back soon and shoot a proper story on the family that runs this place.
The end of the Line
This last weekend I headed southwest to the outskirts of Uvalde, Texas. The destination was Chalk Bluff Park on the Nueces River. The drive was long but worth it. This time the adventure would be rain soaked camping and kayaking. The first day of kayaking we hit the river excited. The storm clouds were building around us but we did not scare easy. The flow rate of the river was at 30 this day so I coined the phrase Kaywalking for this trip.
Getting in the Nueces
Well over the next 15 hours or so about 10+ inches of rain fell and the mighty Nueces rose up the banks. All the campers on the trip woke up drenched except us, we had an amazing tent from REI. I felt lucky to still have some dry under garments. We had some breakfast and coffee huddled under shelter and watched the rain. The locals at the park told us we should wait out a storm cell heading toward us before leaving, boy am I glad we did. The wind picked up and the rain came fast, we all heading for our tents. While inside the trusty dome the rain came down in buckets and started to stream around us. We even had a stream running right under the tent. Crazy! After all of this craziness we headed for the river with our boats. The flow was 30 the day before and was now 160.
Kayaking the Nueces
Let's just say day two had no walking needed, all paddle. Happy birthday to my good buddies!

2 comments:

Sarah Jane said...

It is the Nueces! Next girls trip, let's go to my grandmothers nice ranch near Uvalde. The Nueces runs right through her land. :) Love these pics.

Anonymous said...

Looking at this pic makes me ready for a Felicella/Weinberg/Friends kayaking adventure!

Cari